Friday, July 28, 2017

Never Say Yes

Never Say Yes
By Nin Andrews


Each day I positioned myself carefully. I wouldn't move a muscle. I would tell myself I was in good hands. Of course, it is only natural to be a little uneasy. To think of upsetting an order so nicely arranged, every hair in place. Blown dry. Sometimes I even mastered a windblown look as if I had been flying. People suspected me of having been out on the sly. Of living a secret life. They said, it's a very bad sign. And a woman like that. Who would have thought? For so long they trusted me; they even called me one of their own. I who always yearned to be possessed. When confronted, I solemnly swore that I hadn't budged an inch. Nor had I blinked. I never let on. But gradually I began to display the tell_tale symptoms. Every crime needs a criminal. Nothing can be done about it. Spectators come in droves. Mothers warn their children, See what happens? And to think. I who was taken in by such a nice family. Good, hard_working folk. And they thought I was such a good egg. Look what happens whenever you say yes.

No comments: